The City of Jefferson Code Enforcement person investigates complaints of possible violations of the Jefferson Municipal Code and Jefferson Development Code that relate to parking, dangerous buildings, building code violations, nuisance conditions. City of Jefferson Code Enforcement works with the Marion County Sheriff’s Office, Jefferson Fire Department, the City Attorney’s office, the Municipal Court Judge, and Jefferson Public Works Department. The Code Enforcement person meets with these other offices as needed to review complaints, set priorities for investigating them, and make progress reports and compiles formal reports for the City Council.
COMMON CODE COMPLAINTS:
Vehicles, Boats, Campers, RVs, and Trailers:
· Can be parked on the street for up to 72 hours. They must be stored off of the street.
· Vehicles that are being repaired or don’t run, or that are not licensed cannot be parked on the street.
· You cannot live in an RV. Visitors may stay in RV on your property up to 14 days.
· Dogs must be kept on leash when they are not otherwise contained by fencing or a kennel.
· Dog owners must clean up after their pets.
Grass and Noxious Vegetation:
· Grass and Noxious Vegetation on residential properties and vacant lots must not create a fire or vision clearance hazard. No owner or person in charge of property shall permit grass or other noxious vegetation to grow upon his or her property over 15 inches high.
· You are responsible for maintaining the planter strip between the sidewalk and the curb in front of your property.
· Trees and bushes need to be trimmed so that they do not project over a sidewalk at an elevation of less than 8 feet above the level of the sidewalk or 13 feet above the level of the street.
· Keep sidewalks clean and unobstructed.
· Portable basketball hoops should not be stored on the street or blocking sidewalks, parking areas, or mailboxes.
· No person shall keep junk outdoors on a street, on the property or in a building that is not entirely enclosed. The term “junk” is defined as trash, old motor vehicle parts, scrap, old appliances, glass, paper, lumber, or other waste or discarded material.